Registered Members don't see these big adds. Sign up today, it's 100%, no strings attached, FREE. Seriously it's free...

Click here to sign up and join the friendliest airbrush forum on the planet.

The thinning of Gouache paints for airbrush

Of course i know that one should always use QUALITY gouache paints for airbrush.
    That in mind, what ratio of water to paint has worked for 'you' ?
    Thanks my friends. One more thing, what type of container would you use? I would imagine something glass.

Whackado Extraordinaire!
    Well hmmmm, ok . Not a whole lot of people know what gouache is. Don't know if you're going to get a lot of responses to your query.
    But all is not lost. Usual rule of thumb is to thin or reduce your paints to the consistency of 2% milk. And yes, artist grade not student grade because they artist grade is milled finer and has a better pigment load.

As for containers, beings gouache is like tempera paint except more expensive and better quality, you can use pretty much any container you wish. I use bathroom size dixie cups to mix up paint all the time. Film canisters (do they still have those?) work awesomely, if you can find them. Old pill bottles. etc. Usually if you're not covering a large area then mere drops are all you will need for most jobs.
    Diplomacy: the art of telling someone to go to HECK in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip!!

@bikergranny what a great response from you,,thank you! I was thinking that a 2% milk consistency of Gouache would probably be the right way to go. Thanks again.